For the last few years, Vaping was synonymous with vape mods, sub-ohm atomizers, and giant clouds. However, pod mods have become very popular lately, but many people still don’t know the difference between pod mods and vape mods. There are actually quite a few differences between them. Pull up a chair and fire up a vape. We’re about to dig deeper.
What’s a Pod Mod?
Often referred to as ‘e-cig pods’ or ‘vape pods’, pod mods have become popular at the very recent end of the vaping phenomenon. Effectively, they’re something of a middle ground between a standard-ish e-cigarette and a box mod. And that means that, with a pod mod, you won’t entirely make the leap away from stable, prefilled cartridges to all the flashing lights, buttons, coils, refillable tanks of a mod.
What are the benefits of a pod mod?
Pod mods retain all the convenience of conventional e-cigs, but offer some of the more advanced features of a box mod (temperature control, good throat-hit and fast battery-charging). They’re also fantastically convenient; unlike box mods, which require you to carry around bottles of e-juice, pod mods enable you just to snap in and out their small pods of liquid – great news if you’re in transit. Additionally, they’re streamlined things that take up little space in a pocket or a bag; so easy to carry about with you then.
Pod mods are more recently being used with nicotine salts, making them more ideal for someone who has just quit smoking and started vaping. They’re also known to give a much better throat hit than standard vape mods. This, combined with an intense nicotine hit, might make you want to pick up the vape whenever you want a cigarette.The sleek design of most pod mods make them lightweight and easy to carry around. Since pod mods are designed to be easy to use, they’re a great option for smokers who don’t want to be overwhelmed by too many buttons to push or settings to program.
Popular Pod Mods
So, if you’re interested in browsing through – or maybe purchasing – a pod mod, here’s a selection of the range available through us at Code Vape:
1. Suorin Air
Shaped like a small business card, it comes with 2 mL empty pods, made for refilling. It houses a 300 mAh internal battery and utilizes 1.2 Ohm coils. It provides a tight draw that’s ideal for mouth-to-lung vaping. Its tiny size makes it suitable for even the smallest pockets.
The Suorin Air provides a flavorful vape, free of spit back and hot-pops. That is why it made it on to our list. The pods are easily fillable with a needle-tip dropper, to use any juice of your choice. The coils have a short break in time, you can vape it while charging and best of all, the cartridges don’t leak.
2. Aspire Gusto
The Aspire Gusto delivers big things in a small package. It looks like a box mod, but uses pre-filled pods. The device comes with built-in protection features, so it’s safe and easy to use. You won’t need to be bothered with messy juice. Just pop in a pod, press the button and enjoy a quality vape.
The Gusto uses 2 mL pods and puts out 17 watts of power. Combined with a 900 mAh battery, it will give you a lot of vaping time before you need to charge it. Halo has taken that a step further, by putting their most popular flavors into prefilled Gusto pods. You’re going to love vaping the Gusto.
3. Smoking Vapor Mi-Pod
The Mi-pod is a super compact innovative electronic refillable pod system with a 2ml E-liquid capacity and a custom-made 950mAh built-in high-drain lithium battery.
Featuring a patented OAS system (Oil and Air Separated), with top airflow and no leaking, the Mi-pod brings you an entirely new vaping experience. It supports both disposable cartridges and refillable cartridges.
Furthermore, the Mi-pod comes with manual auto-draw, 3-color power indicators, stealth mode and a micro USB port which makes it very convenient to use and charge. The Digital colours feature a textured finish, and the metal colours feature a metal finish.
What’s a Box Mod?
As noted above, a box mod is an advanced variation on a more standard e-cigarette. It’s fair to say that a mod can do more than a mere vape pen or pod mod; they enable the user to control the temperature at which the e-liquid is heated and turned into vapour; they come complete with a wattage control, which means the user can customise the vapour hit and flavour and optimise the throat hit; plus, they have storage space for external batteries, ensuring a vaper can quickly switch batteries over so they’re not tempted to move back to tobacco-filled cigarette for their hit.
What are the benefits of a Box Mod?
In addition to their benefits outlined above, it’s worth looking at what they do (and don’t do) against their nearest relative in the vaping device family – the ‘mech mod’. Box mods and mech mods are best distinguished from each other when you consider the other terms they’re commonly known by – regulated mods (box mods) and unregulated mods (mech mods).
Taking mech mods first then, the ‘unregulated’ term refers to the fact they enable very liberal experimentation and customisation on the part of the vaper, in that they won’t curtail battery power should the device’s battery resistance level (in ohms) be set too low or should its battery power (wattage) be set too high for safe vaping. Conversely, although a ‘regulated’ box mod allows for a good deal of free-style vaping (if you will), it will cut the power if resistance is too low or power is too high – or if the battery’s about to run out of power naturally. Therefore, you can play around with and vape exactly as you wish via a box mod, but with peace of mind you’ll always be doing so safely.
Popular Box Mods
So, if you’re interested in browsing through – or maybe purchasing – a box mod, here’s a selection of the regulated mods available through us at Code Vape:
- Smok X-Priv 220W TC – stylish and sleek, SMOK presents the X-Priv 225W TC Box Mod, an elegantly designed high output device with the capabilities of 225W and features a gorgeous 2-inch High Definition screen that sets it apart from the competition.
- Aspire Typhoon 100W – The Typhon is both compact and ergonomic, the curvy design makes the mod feel super comfortable in the palm of your hand. The Typhon 100 is powered by a 5000mAh internal battery, with a maximum output wattage of 100W. Yes! That means less recharging required and an even longer vape time!
- SnowWolf 200W TC - The SnowWolf is an advanced device with groundbreaking technology. It features temperature control mechanics, a magnetic battery door, as well as a whopping power output of 200 watts making the Snow Wolf 200 watt a truly remarkable device
- Aspire Skystar 210W TC– The new Aspire SkyStar Revvo Kit is a dual 18650 Battery, 210 Watts, With a massive high resolution OLED screen, and the revolutionary Revvo tank with its disc coil head, makes this not only a beautiful kit but a functional and brilliant one.
- Snowwolf Xfeng 230W TC - The Xfeng features a back panel with a distinctive zodiac constellation design. It can fire up to 230 watts and supports temperature control with nickel 200, titanium and stainless steel wire. Also features a preheat function and three different power modes depending on your personal preferences. The XFENG features a huge 1.3" TFT colour display screen with an easy to read user interface.
- Aspire Speeder 200W TC – features an ergonomic design with a maximum output power of 200W, an auto-rotate 0.96 inch OLED display and multiple TC/VV/VW/TCR and CPS (Customisable Power Setting) options.
- VooPoo Drag 157 TC – incredibly stylish but durable as well and featuring a 32-bit gene chip, this box mod is firmware-upgradable and offers a ‘super mode’, which becomes activated below 157W of power, and can be fired in a fantastic 0.025 seconds!
Difference between Pod Mods and Vape Mods
Many vape mods are designed for sub-ohm vaping, so they are usually used with an e-liquid that has a higher vegetable glycerin (VG) content. Often used in a lower nicotine strength, high-VG juice is generally thicker than traditional high-PG e-juice and produces fuller vape clouds.
Pod mods, on the other hand, are best used with nicotine salt e-liquid. This juice has a higher concentration of nicotine and is available in higher nicotine strengths. It is highly advised not to use nic salts with a sub-ohm vape mod.
Pod Mods Are Usually More Affordable
At Code Vape, we take pride in making sure all our products are competitively priced. Throughout the industry, pod mods are generally more affordable than vape mods. You can get a nice vape pod system on Code Vape for less than £25, with some pod systems selling for even less than that. Since you can switch the pods in and out, stock up on multi-packs of your favorite flavors to save money in the long-run by not dumping out juice every time you want to change it up.
There are plenty of affordable vape mods out there, but the more complex and customizable you get, the pricier they might be. Check out our vape mod selection to find the one that fits your budget and your style.