Stoptober - how we can help quit
Stoptober is a campaign that Public Health England runs for 28 days every October to encourage Britain to stop smoking. It’s based on evidence that suggests after 28 days without smoking, you are up to five times more likely to be able to quit permanently.
Because the campaign takes place over October it makes the task of quitting more manageable as you can tackle it one day at a time.
Why you should take part:
There are many reasons to join in with Stoptober and try to quit smoking, the first of which is that smoking is harmful to your health, and the health of your families and friends. It’s also bad for the environment, and your bank balance. However, we all know that quitting smoking can be tough, especially without support.
During Stoptober there will be plenty of support and encouragement available to you to help you and make quitting easier for you. With that support you are up to four times as likely to quit smoking.
Five Reasons to join in and quit:
- You’ll have whiter teeth
- Food will taste better
- You’ll have more energy
- Better sex and improved fertility
- You, and your family, will live longer
This is where Stoptober comes in. Stoptober is now in its 7th year and is the biggest mass quit attempt in the UK. Like all of our campaigns it is underpinned by evidence, in particular research which shows that if you can stop smoking for 28 days, you are five times more likely to stay smoke-free for good. It is fast becoming a landmark event in the annual health calendar, with 250,000 people taking part last year and 65% of those successfully quitting for 28 days.
While 28 days seems like a long time – the health effects of quitting are very quick:
- After 20 minutes: Blood pressure and pulse rate return to normal.
- After 8 hours: Nicotine and carbon monoxide levels in blood reduce by half and oxygen levels return to normal.
- After 48 hours: Carbon monoxide will be eliminated from the body. Lungs start to clear out mucus and other smoking debris.
- After 48 hours: There is no nicotine in the body. Ability to taste and smell is greatly improved.
- After 72 hours: Breathing becomes easier. Bronchial tubes begin to relax and energy levels increase.
The 28-day challenge starts on Wednesday 1st October 2018. For more information and to sign up, visit us in store to begin your smoke-free journey today!
This information is for personal reference only and its validity is left to the reader’s discretion. As always we encourage you to do your research before you use CBD. We are not medical professionals and do not intend to diagnose, treat or cure any conditions. If you have any specific questions regards to your health, it is best to consult your doctor.